 Technic / 718
Re: subassemblies
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 14:59:39 GMT

John Matthews <jmatthew@columbus.rr.com> wrote in article
<Fny61s.IsG@lugnet.com>...
What you are talking about has previously been called 'LEGO Design • Cliches'
by Fred Martin.  Fred has written a paper called The Art of LEGO Design
which features some of these cliches and is well worth the read.  You can
find it linked in .pdf form at this page:

http://fredm.www.media.mit.edu/people/fredm/

For those without Adobe Acrobat installed, the article is also available in
HTML at the following URL:

http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/artoflego1.htm

Although the quality of the pictures isn't as good as the .pdf file, it's
handy for a quick read.

In the paper Fred mentions this page:

http://el.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/Projects/constructopedia/

which would be similar to your repository idea.  I haven't seen a full
fledged 'constuctopedia' (except for LEGO MindStorms),

Although I don't have any further information, it's my understanding that
the constructopedia is still in the works.... it is apparently a very large
project.

Regards,
Allan
--
Expert Builder Website - The Megaproject Showcase
http://www.execulink.com/~apotome/expert.htm