 Technic / 6374
Re: Lego competitions just like Robotica?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 21:11:40 GMT

"rhendrix" <rmhendrix@hotmail.com> writes:
I happen to watch Robotica every Wednesday night, Battle Bots every Tuesday
night (woohoo - Carmen Elektra in the new season!), but I quit watching that
crappy show on TNT Monday nights.  I think it was called Robot Wars.

Robot Wars was a British show originally, hosted by Craig Charles (the
actor who plays Lister on "Red Dwarf").  It's quite good.  The US
Robot Wars, which is on "The New TNN" (not TNT), uses the same sets as
the UK show, and the same house robots, but is very annoying to watch.
The host is apparently some kind of pro-wrestling bozo, and the other
cast members aren't much better.  I don't know who they think watches
these shows, but I think they've got the demographics all wrong.

Robotica is probably the best of the lot, IMO, but BattleBots is OK
too.  My favorite is the UK Robot Wars, which can be seen on my local
PBS station, KTEH 54 in San Jose, CA.

I've been thinking along the same lines you have about a competition.  I
have also been wondering about the possibility of getting better results
from the radio/ir(?) controlled Manas.  Anybody shelled out the 90 bucks on
those yet?

Someone brought them to our LUG meeting last October.  They didn't
strike me as being very exciting.

A LEGO robot war would probably not be as much fun as the TV shows,
because we can't (and don't really want to, I would guess) build
weapons out of LEGO that can do any real damage to the opponent.
Also, the large bots they have on these shows are quite massive, which
makes a big difference in the damage that they inflict (due to
inertia).

--Bill.