 Technic / 6182
Re: Joining Beams Axially at 90 deg
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 02:30:01 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery writes:
Hey Technic Fans,

How would you connect two beams together, end to end, with one rotated 90
degrees?
http://www.texbrick.com/quick_pics/beam90.jpg

The only solutions I can think of at the moment are big, bulky, and not
feasible.

I'm looking for a simple connection that will fix the two beams rigidly
together. To reduce eccentricity, I would prefer the long axis of each beam
to be on a common line, or as close a possible to a common line (i.e. the
beams are "lined up").

The beams don't have to be spaced by 1L (as pictured). The space can be less
or more just as long as the connection performs as desired.

Thanks,
TJ Avery

One way might be to use the light gray half-pins (ldraw part 4274.dat). Put
them in the endmost holes of the "sideways" beam. The short protruding sections
can then act as top studs, and the two beams can be connected as you describe
with a 1-wide plate. I built it using three half pins and a 1x8 plate to
connect the beams with a 0.5L space between the beam ends. For more rigidity,
you could use half-pins in the ends of each beam and make the connection on two
sides.

Don R.