 Technic / 5836
  Working four-finger gripper

After 20 years away from Legos, I happen to be in Wal-Mart the other day and saw the 8002 Destroyer Droid kit on clearance for $25. I knew this was a good deal, and had been eyeing the mindstorms, so I decided to buy the kit (even though I thought (...) (23 years ago, 20-Sep-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Working four-finger gripper

(...) Welcome back! (...) Nice work, I do like it. Set 8002 is one of my favorites (I have 5 :-) (...) This is tough. There aren't many sets available with a good selection of "essential" Technic parts. The Mindstorms set (the one w/ the (...) (23 years ago, 20-Sep-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Working four-finger gripper

(...) Here's another idea: The 8480 Technic Space Shuttle. This set is regarded by most Technic fans as the greatest Technic set ever. I don't own one, but I've seen a parts list: (URL) it contains an excellent selection of parts. Right now it's (...) (23 years ago, 20-Sep-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Working four-finger gripper

(...) by (...) "specials": (...) Thanks a bundle for the part tips! I'll have to check out Brickbay. Were the parts for all those awesome trusses, etc. on your web site just from lots and lots of sets, or were you able to find a source for beams, (...) (23 years ago, 20-Sep-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Working four-finger gripper

(...) Mostly from past sets. I've been getting Technic sets since the early eighties (well, it was Expert Builder back then :-) Back in the late eighties, I ordered a large amount of the "large black beams" service packs from Lego. That boosted my (...) (23 years ago, 20-Sep-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Working four-finger gripper

(...) It's very uneconomical, you get about eight long beams for a fiver. second hand is much better value for money. steve (23 years ago, 20-Sep-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Working four-finger gripper

(...) Please tell me of your second hand sources! In my position (here in the US), it's about the same (second hand vs. Lego S@H accessory packs). Go check Brickbay. If you buy 4 1x12 and 4 1x16, it will cost you around $10 (US). If you buy a pack (...) (23 years ago, 20-Sep-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Working four-finger gripper

(...) Ebay! And a guy called Huw Millington sold me a load at a Legofest, plus whatever other technic models you can buy at a Lego fest. Ste (23 years ago, 20-Sep-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Working four-finger gripper

(...) Yah, Ebay can be a good source. However, the problem is that the availability of parts is inconsistent and should you finally find something you want, you have to outbid someone to get it. And you have to search quite a bit to find stuff too (...) (23 years ago, 20-Sep-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Working four-finger gripper

(...) All the problems you mention with Ebay are reduced here in the U.K because it's smaller, although you still have to outbid people. Brickbay or Lego s@h aren't much good if you're trying to get your lego on the cheap. You can hide wrong (...) (23 years ago, 20-Sep-01, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Working four-finger gripper

(...) One of the best sets I know of for black is the 8880 - and as a bonus you get a pile of hinge plates. And there still seems to be quite a few around on ebay. Just gotta figure out what to make with a boxful of those CV joint assemblies... (...) (23 years ago, 21-Sep-01, to lugnet.technic)