 Technic / 5837
Re: Working four-finger gripper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 18:52:53 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Simeon H.K. Fitch writes:
After 20 years away from Legos,

Welcome back!

I happen to be in Wal-Mart the other day and
saw the 8002 Destroyer Droid kit on clearance for $25. I knew this was a
good deal, and had been eyeing the mindstorms, so I decided to buy the kit
(even though I thought Episode 1 was terrible).

I was quite impressed with the mechanical complexity of 8002, and was
inspired to try something of my own. I decided to build a "gripper", like
the ones that are in those arcade machines for picking up stuffed animals,
etc. I had so much fun with it that I had to share the results:

There is an axle that runs up the center of the device, that when turned
causes a 4-way armature to turn, which applies outward force to each of the
four "fingers" of the claw. Likewise, turning the axle in the other
direction pulls the fingers inward (a rubber band helps keep the claws
closed when no torque is applied.

I've also uploaded the ML-CAD file I drew after building it.

I don't own any gears or motors yet, but I hope to get some soon to try to
motorize the thing.

Hope you like it.

Simeon

Nice work, I do like it. Set 8002 is one of my favorites (I have 5 :-)

PS: Any advice on the best way to get a bunch of grears/mechanical type
parts? Most of the Lego kits in the store seem to be more "action figure"
oriented, which isn't what I'm interested in...

This is tough. There aren't many sets available with a good selection of
"essential" Technic parts.

The Mindstorms set (the one w/ the programmable brick) contains more than
700 parts. Although expensive, it has a good selection of essential parts.

Lego shop at home has a few sets:
http://shop.lego.com
Look in the advanced Technic section for some big sets (like the 8448
supercar). These will contain the essentials (gears, beams, etc.) but still
have a lot of specialized parts (i.e. junk).

Then there's Brickbay. You can buy exactly what you want, but it can be
expensive.
http://216.37.35.72

Hope that helps. If not, I'm sure someone will come along with a better post.

TJ
www.texbrick.com