 Technic / 5361
Re: A way to build a universal joint?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 03:53:01 GMT

Whoa! that's veery neat! Hmmmmmmmmmm (ideas start churnning)

Good one!!!!

Also I checked out your site, That Crane is off the hook!!!!! I like it!!!!

Right on Technic brother!

Eric

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Legomaster

In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery writes:
In lugnet.technic, Thomas Avery writes:
Building a u-joint probably can be done, although I've never really tried.

Okay, I've tried now. You've captured my interest and I wanted to see how I
could do it. Take a look at 3 ideas:

http://tanyatj.home.texas.net/tjscreations/quick_pics/ujoint.html

As I spectulated before, the home-made joints are bulky and it will be hard
to incorporate them into a nice, neat, compact model. Anyway, it was worth a
try.

I guess the problem is that Lego parts a just too big. The key element in
the u-joint is the center piece. To create it, you neet a set of axles that
are perpendicular and in the same plate. Given the variety of parts,
creating this set of axles results in a large piece and then the overall
home-made u-joint is relatively large.

Anyway, it was fun.

T. J.