 Technic / 5267
Re: 120 degree connector
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 15:40:35 GMT

In lugnet.technic, David Arnon writes:
In lugnet.technic, Wayne R. Hussey writes:

By using 3 of the 24-tooth gears set up into a triangle, you can set the
angles at whatever multiple of 15 degrees you want. If you use the older
gears, you get a direct connect to 4 peg-holes aligned for standard Technic
building on one side with the triangle frame on the other.

Wayne

I can't understand what you mean, can you post a picture or a sketch?

Thanks, David

David,

The method I've described is complex. Maybe more so than you need. It can be
done other easier ways, as shown by other postings. I will describe it in
detail here and once you've seen it, can adapt or discard as you choose. If
you want, I'll post a pic of it.

Parts List:
3 24 tooth gears
6 1x6 (or longer) Technic beams
6 1x6 (or longer) plates
15 Technic pegs (either friction or grey)
3 3-long (or longer) cross axles
3 6-long 1/2 beams
6 1/2-height axle bushings

Put the 3 cross axles through the center of the 3 gears flush on one side.
Place them next to each other so that their gears mesh, forming a triangle.
Note: this does not insure the 120 degree angles you are after. You can
adjust them to the proper alignment at this time or wait 'til later. Place
one of the half beams across two of the axles leaving the end holes of the
1/2 beam hanging. Put a bushing on the third axle. Place a second half beam
across the 'bushinged' axle and one of the other axles. Put a peg in the end
of each 1/2 beam (two 1/2 beams will be joined). Put a bushing on the
remaining axle. Add the third 1/2 beam, connecting all three beams together
at their ends with the pegs. Put bushings on all three axles (one axle will
need two). Turn the assembly over so that the triangular frame is behind the
gears.

Assemble the beams and plates (3 sub-units) as beam-plate-plate-beam. Insert
4 clips into each gear. Snap the beam sub-assemblies on. They will be at 120
degree angles to each other (assuming that the gears were rotated correctly
at the beginning). Adjustments can be made by slightly separating the
triangular frame and turning the gears. Each tooth movement of a gear will
cause a 15 degree shift of that gear (and beam).

I have to admit that this assembly is not very strong as is, but it does set
the whole system up. It can be made stronger by working with the triangular
frame. If you have a 3-blade Technic plate with holes on the ends, you can
use it with or instead of the 1/2 beams - which will also provide a center
for the whole assembly. You can double the number of gears (frame between)
and put beams on both outsides and binding them together - a more complex,
and even stronger assembly.

I hope this helps.

Wayne