 Technic / 4939
Re: Spring/elastic wind-up engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 23:07:38 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Dave Cheng writes:

At school, our class was given exactly this challenge. We we're all split
into groups and given about an hour to construct such a vehicle.

I realize that it isn't as simple as
winding an elastic around an axle since a clutch mechanism would have to be
used to allow the drive wheel(s) to freewheel once the spring/elastic
energy is used up.

It was EXACTLY that simple, as that was exactly what I built. I started to
build when a classroom assistant showed me how to snag a rubber band on an
eight tooth gear. Wind the wheels backwards and you tighten the band. once
the band has unwound on relase, it's thrown off the gear leaving the vehicle
to free wheel.

And as regards the competiton, I won! of course. You might be thinking my
GROUP won, well in a way they did, but seeing as I commandeered all the
parts and did all the work (they'ed only have slowed me down you see) I
regard the win as mine.

Yours pompously

Steve :-)

And anyway I was doing them a favour, they didn't have to do a thing and we
won, which was the important thing. So much for the beneifits of team work
that people are always banging on about! And if you think about it there are
more brilliant individuals remembered then brilliant groups.