 Technic / 4954
Re: Spring/elastic wind-up engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 18:54:41 GMT

Sorry, I know following up my own post is a little weird, but allow me to
clarify what I mean by "wind-up toy car":  I'm thinking more along the
lines of those cars that are wound up by rolling them backwards, and then
zoom forwards once released.  I wasn't referring to a key-type winding
mechanism.

I once made a car with a technic liftarm 1 x 3  attached to a
cross-axle and some gears to the back wheels.

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6632

I attached the rubber bands in another part of the chassis and lay
them over the technic liftarm and then wound up the engine by dragging
the "car" backwards on the floor. When released the rubber bands spun
the axle in the opposite direction and the gearing made it swoosh
across the floor until the rubber bands unwind from the liftarm then
it free-rolled til' it stopped.

I guess it's possible to use a thicker axle to wind the bands on to
increase speed too.

I had forogt about building them until this post, thanx!
/Tobbe

http://www.arnesson.nu/lotek/