 Technic / 4899
Re: Silver Champion Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 12:24:11 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gary E. Blessing writes:
Hello,
I have a few questions about the silve champ.

1.How solid is it? some people said that its flimsy,so what I meen is 1.5
solid compared to the 8448?

I don't know how it compares to 8448, but it is pretty flexible (i.e. put it
on a table and lift up just one wheel- it will come up several inches before
lifting the other side of the car up- much more than just the travel of the
suspension). That's not to say it isn't strong. It held together well when I
twisted and flexed the body in my hands.

2.Does the steering work? (yes I know thats a stupid question,but it dosen't
say on Lego's site)

Yes, but it's pretty sloppy. There is a lot of play in the front wheels.
Turning the wheels is a little difficult too. The steering "wheel" is in a
tight spot and it's hard to get your fingers on it.

It sounds like you're considering getting it. I have a few more opinions if
you're interested:

The price (170 $US) is way too high. Try to find it elsewhere (i.e.
Brickbay.com or Ebay- look for "Buy-it-now" if you don't want to fool around
with an auction). You might be able to find it for 125~155 $US.

Aesthetically it's great. But it lacks some functionality. There is no
transmission. Well, there are gears connecting the V10 to the differential,
but no "real" transmission to change the gear ratios.

It has a good selection of parts. If I remember correctly, there are 8 black
1x16 Technic beams and 6 black 15-holed smooth Technic beams. The wishbone
suspension pieces (new part) are excellent and you get 16 of them. And then
a good selection of the basics: axles, pegs, links/liftarms, etc.

If you have any more specific questions, post a reply. There are a lot of us
out there who own this set.

T. J.