 Technic / 4032
Re: A dream Mindstorms/Technic piece...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 22:13:45 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jennifer Clark writes:
In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford writes:

I had plans to look at a
double acting compressor using a single cylinder & 2 of the old pneumatic
bricks, but your design is probably more compact!

I would have thought the downstroke chamber would have less volume since it
has the driving rod running though it, leading to greater pressure being
required to exert an equivalent force as the upstroke. In compressor mode
you'd get less air pumped in the downstroke.

Yeah, I'd thought about that, but my application was gonna include an air tank,
which would alleviate the problem a bit. Without a tank, there'd probably be a
noticable effect, depending on how long your lines are. I've found the Lego
ones are flexible enough to provide a significant storage effect over long
lengths (though nowhere near the air tank!).

ROSCO