 Technic / 3844
Re: 4.5-volt Technic motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 16:25:32 GMT

Gaurav Thakur wrote:

In lugnet.technic, Jan-Albert van Ree writes:
They were about as fast as the standard 9V motor, but less powerful.
To move larger models you needed the 872 gearbox set.

It wasn't the voltage that gave it so little power... the 12v motor (as in
880) is just as strong (or weak)

Okay I see; thanks for the information. The 12V motor is not any more
powerful than the 4.5V one? That's strange...I wonder why it was released at
the same time as the 4.5V one (when it was nearly identical to it); the only
other difference seems to be that it is black rather than gray.

12v didn't require those darned batteries... if you already had a 12v
transformer it would be a waste of money (if you check out the image of the
880 set, you'll notice it has the special plug meant for the 12v transformers)

LEGO even adapted the grey transformer, if you turned the control knob around,
you could hook up a 4.5v motor without overloading it, since it would have
limited movement. Very cool indeed :-)
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree   | http://www.nl.3dgamers.com
3D Sims Archive maintainer   | http://www.3dgamers.com