 Technic / 3829
Re: 4.5-volt Technic motor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 01:54:39 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jan-Albert van Ree writes:
They were about as fast as the standard 9V motor, but less powerful.
To move larger models you needed the 872 gearbox set.

It wasn't the voltage that gave it so little power... the 12v motor (as in
880) is just as strong (or weak)

Okay I see; thanks for the information. The 12V motor is not any more
powerful than the 4.5V one? That's strange...I wonder why it was released at
the same time as the 4.5V one (when it was nearly identical to it); the only
other difference seems to be that it is black rather than gray.

In lugnet.technic, Constantine Hannaher writes:
I read this at work and thought, I have recently dug out my 8865 instructions
and assembled the alternate model

and later motorized it with a 4.5 volt motor and I sure don't remember any
second set of motorization instructions. But there it is in the scans at
BrickShelf. So I checked my instructions at home and they are copyright 1988
and have only the pages for the 8700 motor set. The instruction booklet at
BrickShelf is copyright 1990 from the looks of it.

I think I see what happened...the change from the 4.5V to the 9V motors took
place sometime during 1990. I think that 8054 (early 1990) was the last set
to include a 4.5V motor, with 8064 and 8094 (released later in the year)
including the newer 9V one. Since some of the older sets were still
available (I have a 1991 catalog which shows the 8855 and 8865 sets from
1988), TLC probably wanted to allow them to make use of the newer motor
while still having cross-compatibility with the older 4.5V motor.

My 8862 manual also only has instructions for motorization using the 4.5V
motor, and it is from 1989 which was before the 9V motor came out.

The movement afforded by the 4.5 volt motor qualifies as a crawl.

Heh...I guess it isn't very good then; no wonder the 9V motor took its place...

BTW did anyone notice that, in many of the places where the 4.5V motor is
used, there is no pulley/bushing on the motor itself? The rubber belt seems
to be wrapped directly around the axle on the motor...