 Technic / 3623
Re: New Roborider, Lego racers found
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 04:07:12 GMT

The problem is that nobody working on the RoboRiders talks to anyone else
working on the RoboRiders.  What exactly ARE they?  What's up with the dudes
on the wheels?  And who exactly do they fight?  Nobody knows, as Lego can't
make up its collective mind.

My personal take on it is: [snip]

Agreed.  The whole "virus on the web" thing on the web site doesn't really make
sense.  "Bikes with human brains" is passible, but there's no particular reason
for it either.  The dudes on the wheels is just to give us something else to
buy again and again, à la ThrowBot discs, but I can't think of what purpose
they serve either.

Okay, in my little TechBot universe old characters never die, you just grow the
character pool every year.  So you've got this earth-type planet that shows
signs of advanced civilization, but whoever the inhabitants were they're all
dead or gone now.  They left behind the ThrowBots, and after a while the
ThrowBots run across an old lab which contains the finished but inactive
RoboRiders.  So they get turned on and join in the fun.  I'm thinking Bionicle
can be alien 'bots that follow that evil force to the planet (just substituting
the planet for that island, unless the island story is more cool than that once
we know more of it.)

Building slightly off Lego's ThrowBot story, I figure they all fight each other
for no particular reason, with alliances and rivalries forming by whim.  Of
course, the ThrowBots on a "team" (they form a Super ThrowBot together) get
along with each other better than others, and 'bots with similar themes (Torch
& Lava) really get along.  The big guys (Millenia, Blaster, Boss) command more
respect than most, but not always (where would be the fun if they were
unopposed all the time).

Well okay, who really needs a story anyway.  Like with the Mortal Kombat games,
the story is just an excuse to get them to fight with each other.  :)

http://throwbots.virtualave.net/