 General / 25887
25886  |  25888
Subject:
New Roborider, Lego racers found
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 15:02:02 GMT

I was at Walmart this weekend as part of my post-holiday trolling, looking
for all those odd sets that pop up on the shelves when everything new is
sold out and I found the new Roborider boss, #8516
and one of the new racer sets, I forget which one since I have so little
interest that I didn't even want to fork over the $3 or $4 for it.

The Boss Roborider is quite neat as it consists basically of three separate
bikes which attach together to form a trike. All three use a worm gear to
allow the rear axle to change position. This is the first roborider I have
purchased. I like it because back when I was a kid and I had the big Technic
harvester with solid rubber wheels. And the most fun I had with it was
building unbreakable two wheelers and throwing them down the hallway in
races. Build this set and you automatically have three bikes to race against
each other.

My main reason for posting though is too mention that the image seen at

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8516

is of the secondary model, not the primary model. Worse yet, the images in
every catalog I've seen feature only the bottom half of the secondary model,
a gross misrepresentation of the set. See:

http://collectibles.echostation.com/fbtb/2/techrobo06.jpg

Undoubtedly Lego is shooting themselves in the foot with this error.

I'd love to hear some comments from people who have bought other roboriders
to see how this compares and from people who have bought the racers.

Jonathan