 Technic / 2358
  super cars

hi all, i was just sitting here looking at my collection of supercars/ auto chassis and trying to figure out which ( if any) real life autos that they are patterned after. i have heard that the 8860 is based on the porsche 911. so i was wondering (...) (24 years ago, 1-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: super cars

The 8448 looks like a 4th gen Camaro to me. Front engine, V8, convertible, mag wheels, with the secret white plastic seat option you can only get through Lego-Chevy dealerships. The Lego version has more cup holders than the Chevy, and costs about (...) (24 years ago, 1-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: super cars

(...) Whether or not the 8860 is based on the Porsche 911 I have no idea, but it is certainly a similar layout. It is also not a million miles away from a Volkswagen Beetle, but then, if my memory serves me well, neither is a Porsche 911 :-) (...) (24 years ago, 2-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: super cars

(...) The 956 always reminded me of a Volvo estate car from the Seventies, for some reason. Perhaps it was the foldy cushion bit in the back seat? :-) Jennifer Clark (24 years ago, 2-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: super cars

(...) Me too! I guess it's because I'm Scandinavian, and we have had a lot of Volvo 24x around here. And there was also the Technic idea book in which they had a modified 956. It had a "station wagen" body which reminded me pretty much of the Volvo. (...) (24 years ago, 2-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: super cars

You are correct to remember that Lego offered a suggestion to modify the 956. One photograph appeared on the front cover of the instruction books for all of the first series of Expert Builder sets and towards the back three additional photographs (...) (24 years ago, 3-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: super cars

(...) I remember that too, and remember thinking it looked pretty dodgy. I tried to make a similar type of body for the 8860 at the time, which looked equally dodgy. To be honest, I think the only really viable bodywork for those cars is the type on (...) (24 years ago, 3-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: super cars

(...) I think that one could make a brick-based body for an 8448-sized car -- there are many who have done so and put them on the web and some of them look great. But the vast number of parts needed makes such a vehicle more or less unplayable. (...) (24 years ago, 3-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: super cars

(...) That is very true, I had forgotten about that approach, and you are right, some of them do look great, for example, the Fiat on your web site really captures the correct look. In a similar but different way, the old Technic motorbike also (...) (24 years ago, 3-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: super cars

(...) Thanks! I must admit, though, that the model was very unplayable. While it did have a lot of working functions, the weight and bulk of it implied that it wasn't any fun at all to push along. For example, the suspension required a lot of shock (...) (24 years ago, 14-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: super cars

I've done a quick bit of modification to a 8448 image filling in the panels and such, see it at (URL) . The fourth generation Camaro does look a lot like the Super Street 8448, but I think the Ferrari 550 Maranello fits it better. The 550 has a (...) (24 years ago, 15-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: super cars

Here is a picture of the Ferrari posed in the same position as the 8448 picture. Almost perfect. The tail is a little closer to the Camaro's spoiler, but I'll admit defeat. (...) mag (...) (24 years ago, 17-Oct-00, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: super cars

(...) The 8880 Super Car always reminded me of the Mitsubishi Eclipse from the mid '90s. The debut of the Super Car almost seemed to coincide with the new body style of the Eclipse. (23 years ago, 18-Feb-01, to lugnet.technic)