 Technic / 2373
Re: super cars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 02:53:39 GMT

You are correct to remember that Lego offered a suggestion to modify the 956.
One photograph appeared on the front cover of the instruction books for all of
the first series of Expert Builder sets and towards the back three additional
photographs and a sketch on a page entitled 956+954+961 indicating the sets
needed for the parts used. I have recently tried building this station wagon
and found it fairly rickety. I have not figured out the dashboard exactly.
Newer entrants to our community may not be aware that the 8448 Super Street
Sensation is within 2 studs' length the same wheelbase and track as the 956
chassis. I built another 956 chassis using black beams and the 8448-style V8
engine fits in very nicely. What a difference 22 years and a few hundred new
parts makes!

In lugnet.technic, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
Jennifer Clark <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> writes:

The 956 always reminded me of a Volvo estate car from the Seventies,
for some reason.

Me too!  I guess it's because I'm Scandinavian, and we have had a lot of
Volvo 24x around here.

And there was also the Technic idea book in which they had a modified
956.  It had a "station wagen" body which reminded me pretty much of the
Volvo.

Fredrik