 Technic / 2123
Re: Mini-review: 8457 Power Puller
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 00:56:38 GMT

My cousin and I built several pulling vehicles out of LEGO last winter and
had several competitions with a complete set of rules.  We even built the
sled completely out of LEGO but used pennies for weight.

We had 3 half pound classes:  2 Wheel Drive, 4 Wheel Drive and Unrestricted
Drive

And one 3/4 pound class of Unrestricted Drive

I think we were pulling nearly 500 pennies by the end of the events.  We
plan on doing more next year.

Its quite a challenge designing a vehicle that won't fall apart under the
stress of the pull.  (We had a rule that only LEGO could be used and no
gluing.)  Also its a challenge to build a well balanced vehicle and keep it
under the weight, especially if your trying to add 2 or more engines and use
larger tires.

Amazingly the only 2 LEGO pieces I remember breaking were the 2x4 Technic
Brick we used as the hitch to the sled and one of the small beveled gears
which stripped under the load of several engines.

Darrel

David C. Pyatt <dcpyatt@netzero.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.technic, Ran Talbott writes:

Is there a rules requirement for rear wheel drive?  This seems like a • natural
for FWD,  with any of the minimal steering required done by the rear • wheels.

Any benefits to RWD I can think of (like,  say, using the load to • increase
traction) seem to be outweighed by costs (like increasing the friction • between
the load and the ground).

It'll be interesting to see whether a Technic equivalent of the NTPA • starts.
Especially if it tries to make the competition more realistic by dropping • the
wheels off the load.  You want some seriously-tough competition?  Try • dragging
the load across a field of baseplates  ;-)

Ran

There are 4x4 truck and 4x4 stock tractor classes when the farmers bring • out
their stock tractors... I don't think there is any rule against FWD. but I
would think that the load shift up the transfer sled would pick the front
tires off the ground before you could get a full pull.  Figure that the • weight
is transfering off the wheels on the sled and on to the hitch point and • the
rear wheels...

I actually wanted to build a tractor/sled with technic before the Power • Puller
was announced... sort of bummed me out when they released it! :)

Dave