 Technic / 1876
Throwbots: First Impressions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 6 Aug 2000 20:29:01 GMT

I've just started collecting the Throwbots line, and I have all but Torch
(red) and Granite (tan), and I haven't gotten Millenium or Blaster (the two
higher-priced ones) yet.

My only complaints so far (as with the RoboRiders) is that not much ingenuity
seems to have gone into the design of each robot. The first four steps on
every robot are essentially all the same...

- get head
- put head on gear-type piece with long axle
- secure rear of head with #2 axle
- clip on visor

...from there, you have really only two paths...

- add worm gear and housing so that head can tilt (for all humanoid types)
or
- insert long rack gear into rack housing (for all others)

The colors are really what I like best. My usual rule of thumb applies:

BUY TWO OF EACH WHEN YOU CAN: Having at least two of any part is always handy
later.

The light blue is a new color for me, not having been on the lego scene
through the Scala or girl-targeted kits. I like the purple (Electro & Spark)
and orange (Flare) colors for some reason. I'm convinced that the next medium-
scale Advanced Builders kit should be a Prowler-type vehicle, in glorious
purple.

Anyway, I'll get into the details in a follow up. For now, I'll just say that
so far, Scuba and Ski are my two favorites, with Flare and Jet close seconds.
I am dreading Granite (whoever said it looks like a dog is correct). That is
why I am saving him until last. I don't have Torch yet, as he seems to be the
most popular and has been sold out at both Zny Brainy stores I've been too.

Toys R Us might have to price match on those two...

- Sean