 Technic / 1833
Re: Has anyone ever tried to design a washing machine mechanism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:39:24 GMT

Mark D. McKean <qpanda@iwaynet.net> wrote:

In article <FyA7n1.Myo@lugnet.com>, "Geoffrey Hyde"
<ghyde@ledanet.com.au> wrote:

Then there is the speed of the washing machine tub in it's spin
cycle.  I'm not sure how this would work, as most of the current
motors run too slowly. Perhaps two could have their combined output
geared together and accelerated through the same gear train.

I don't know about the agitator, but with enough gears, you can speed up
the rotation from a single motor quite easily. With 4 pairs of 24-tooth
gears driving 8-tooth gears, I created a hand-cranked fan with
incredible speed. So as long as the mass of the tub isn't too great for
the motor's torque, this should work.

How about a front-loading washing machine? No agitator.

<PLUG>

  Here's something else you can do with geared-up motors:

  <http://homepage.mac.com/reid_hoff/Kevin/LEGO/Flywheel%20Launcher/>

</PLUG>

--
Kevin Reid: |    Macintosh: