 Technic / 1828
Re: Has anyone ever tried to design a washing machine mechanism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 07:30:49 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Geoffrey Hyde writes:

Hmmm - what would I do with all the rest of the Duplo, though?  :o)

To get serious for a moment,  there are probably dozens of places near you
(assuming you're not on some remote sheep station,  connecting via direct
satellite link  ;-)

Day care centers,  the nursery at your church,  the pediatrics ward at your
community hospital,  maybe even a high school physics teacher.

I had a closer look, and the ones in 6180 Hydro Search Sub have a cross-axle
shaped hole, and not a round one

One word:  Makita.

That might work, but I think the real ones rotate further than that.  :o)

Well,  if you used a 40-tooth gear as the "arm",  and drove a 24-tooth gear
with it,  you'd nearly double the motion.

Another alternative would be to gear way up,  instead of down,  and just use
rotary motion through the whole mechanism.  Then you could run the motor fast,
and get enough feedback from a rotation sensor to close the loop.

It would be interesting to see an actual patent or technical drawing, and
find out what exactly they used in the mechanism.

Quite possibly available from your local library.

Ran