 Technic / 1819
1818  |  1820
Subject:
Has anyone ever tried to design a washing machine mechanism?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 01:46:22 GMT

I'm wondering if anyone has ever given this a go - specifically, the
top-loading variety.

Of particular interest would be how to recreate the agitator gearing
mechanism so that it moves back and forth separately from the bowl.

Then there is the speed of the washing machine tub in it's spin cycle.  I'm
not sure how this would work, as most of the current motors run too slowly.
Perhaps two could have their combined output geared together and accelerated
through the same gear train.

The bowl itself would either have to be a special piece of material not made
out of LEGO or we'd have to wait until they produced one for us - unless a
framework was made that looked roughly bowl-like in shape, still not as good
as an actual bowl though IMHO.

I hope someone has tried at least the mechanism, it would be interesting to
see how to design the rotational movement power for the washing tub changing
to a cam-based movement, I think cams would be a key element somewhere in
this.  It would also appear that the real machines do this seamlessly and
without pausing to stop when agitating the water.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde