 Technic / 16879
Re: Motorized Excavator - expensive!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2010 21:04:53 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ram Sreerangam wrote:
I wonder why the US price for the Motorized Excavator is so high. See the
comparison to last year's flagship product:

8043 - Motorized Excavator
  USA Price $200
  Europe Price 160euros

8258 - Crane Truck
  USA Price $150
  Europe Price 160euros

--Ram

The answer to the higher price is Power Functions content.

8258 Crane Truck
---------------------------------
1x - XL motor           ($10)
1x - Battery Box        ($7)
2x - Linear Actuator    ($30)
1x - Pole Reverser      ($5)
---TOTAL----------------($52)----

8043 Excavator
---------------------------------
4x - M motor            ($32)
1x - Battery Box        ($7)
4x - Linear Actuator    ($60)
2x - IR Receiver        ($30)
2x - IR Transmitter     ($20)

The 3 extra motors and all the IR Remote Control devices easily make up for the
price difference.  The price/part for regular parts is about the same or
actually better for the excavator.  As for the difference between the US and
European prices, I suppose the answer is the same as always.  Market forces.  If
8258 sold very well in the USA (which it did), then they can justify raising the
price.  Why not in Europe?  I don't know, but I'm guessing my European friends
are not complaining about it.