 Technic / 15270
Re: motorized tank questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 15:51:36 GMT

Steve,

Thanks for all the help.

In lugnet.technic, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

This approach will work well with tank treads.  It wouldn't work well with normal
wheels, because you'd have one wheel in front, and the other in back.

If appearance is really important, you may notice a difference in how the treads
look, given that the tread attached to the front motor will be tight across the top,
while the other will be tight across the bottom.

The really important thing (for you) is that it will allow you to make the tank four
studs narrower.

How are you planning on driving the motors?  Wires to an external battery box?  An
internal battery box?  RCX?  NXT?

Steve

I haven't figured out how to motorize the turret yet, if that will need an 8
wide space in the hull, then I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the
fore-an-aft-motor-hull-narrowing setup anyway, so I'll have to see. I have
another few motors on their way via Bricklink and will experiment when they
arrive.

I was planning to use wires to external battery boxes. I had assumed if I wanted
to have four motors/functions, (two for the treads, one for the turret rotation
and one for the gun elevation/depression) I would need four battery boxes, but
then I came upon this post:

http://news.lugnet.com/build/military/?n=2078&t=i&v=a

It seems like Duane has rigged his tank up so that he only uses two joysticks to
essentially control four functions. And am I correct in understanding he only
has one battery box? Now how is he pulling that off? I'm not familiar with those
little yellow joysticks and some of the other things he seems to be using. I
suspect that it is beyond me to get my controller that compact and economic, but
I aim to build a tank that has the four basic functions and is at least as
compact and attractive.

cheers

Magnus