 Technic / 15269
Re: motorized tank questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 6 Jul 2006 13:57:16 GMT

On Thu, July 6, 2006 9:42 am, Magnus Lauglo wrote:
Usually the problem is that the treads don't find purchase as much as I'd like,
but I was up til 2am last night experimenting, and think I have figured out that
by adding weight to the front of the chassis and suspension on the road wheels I
am improving this a lot.

The problem with adding 1 by 4 plates to the tracks, as suggested by Steve H.,
(even if I coud get them to stick on) is that that would increase the width of
the tank and I'm trying to keep this as close to minifig scale as I can. At this
point the whole thing is about 14 wide with two motors side by side, and I don't
want to go much wider than that.

Another AFOL had suggested to me that I use one motor in the front and another
in the back (so as to distribute weight more evenly), has anyone else tried
that?

This approach will work well with tank treads.  It wouldn't work well with normal
wheels, because you'd have one wheel in front, and the other in back.

If appearance is really important, you may notice a difference in how the treads
look, given that the tread attached to the front motor will be tight across the top,
while the other will be tight across the bottom.

The really important thing (for you) is that it will allow you to make the tank four
studs narrower.

How are you planning on driving the motors?  Wires to an external battery box?  An
internal battery box?  RCX?  NXT?

Steve