 Technic / 14918
Re: Adaptor(s)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:58:33 GMT

Rob Antonishen <rob.antonishen@gmail.com> wrote:

I'd also like a camera mounting... I'm thinking of maybe constructing
something out of one of those device's that grip onto a desk and
allow you to attach your camera.

   I have a mini-tripod that I take backpacking (about $9 US) that has three
folding 4" long legs and a double ball-socket head (tripod to ball-socket,
ball-socket to 2nd ball-socket via a short 1" long connector, with the pin-
&-screw mounting for the camera on the 2nd ball-socket. Cut the tripod off flat
and glue it to a studded beam or two, and you're done.

My [Rob's] desire is to use this as a pano mount, so the critical
thing was drilling the hole in the right place to get the camera
optics lined up with the Lego geometry.

   Or, use ball joints and pieces that can be adjusted along axles. I played
with some "variable geometry" for the GBC train stations at BrickFest, and was
surprised at just how precise an adjustment you can make (and how long it will
hold in place).

I found that a thin piece of cork (like used on tripods) is
a good addition to prevent the camera from rotating on the bolt.

   I use those thin rubber pads that are sold to help remove jar lids - slightly
compressible, thin, easy to cut, and they're *great* for pulling out stuck axles
pins and the like.
   Oh, and they're usually free in some giveaway or something.

--
Brian Davis