 Technic / 14916
Re: Adaptor(s)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:35:27 GMT

On 11/24/05, Lane <Steve> wrote:
If you could have an adaptor to connect A non-Lego item to Lego what would you
have?

I'd also like a camera mounting. It would have a metal screw on the top to fit
into the standard receptacle on the underside of a camera, a vertical piece
supporting it and some technic connector pins coming out at right angles so
you
could connect it.

I'm thinking of maybe constructing something out of one of those device's that
grip onto a desk and allow you to attach your camera. Has anyone done anything
like this?

I built an adapter for my digital pocket camera using a 6x8 plate with
2x2 tiles glued to it. I drilled a 1/4 inch hole at the right place
and put a screw up through it an into the mounting hole of the camera.
The plate can get stuck on anything, but I tend to use it on a
technic beam box (4 1x6 beams) with another plate on the bottom for
strength.

My desire is to use this as a pano mount, so the critical thing was
drilling the hole in the right place to get the camera optics lined up
with the Lego geometry.  This way when mounted on a turntable, the
camera will rotate around its focal point. (Most SLR type camera
already line up the tripod mount with the optics, but most point and
shoot format camera do not, so this is extremely camera specific)

I found that a thin piece of cork (like used on tripods) is a good
addition to prevent the camera from rotating on the bolt.

I'll try to grab a picture of it tonight if anyone is interested.

-Rob A>