 Technic / 13311
Re: Rolling ball clock revisited
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 22:05:51 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Rob Hendrix wrote:
Instead of having the bucket grab a ball from the bin, why not have a bin
feed into a gravity tube that is ball sized.  Then simply pick up a ball at
the other end of the tube.

So, what exactly is a gravity tube? Maybe you mean something like:

Empty    Full   Half-full
  | |     |o|      | |
  | |     |o|      | |
  | |     |o|      |o|
  | |___  |o|___   |o|___
  |_____  |o____   |o____

Hence, when a ball comes in (from bottom right of the tube), it pushes a ball
out from the top? In which case, I don't think it would quite work since the
number of balls in the reservoir isn't constant, a varying number being
otherwise occupied on the time-telling ramps.

Or maybe you mean something different? Perhaps something like a swing-arm/tube
that only has room for 1 ball, that flips around? Hm.

Now if only there were a way to create sufficient Lego-suction to suck a ball
all the way up the tube! That'd be pretty sweet... :)

You could also try and prep a ball by using an extra sensor, motor, and lift
timing. Basically pre-emptively lift a ball up the conveyor, use (say) a light
sensor to detect whether you actually GOT the ball up the conveyor, then do the
actual release exactly when the minute is up. If it missed the ball, it can just
try again.

DaveE