 Technic / 13046
13045  |  13047
Subject:
why won't my biped walk?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:55:03 GMT

A newbie needs some help here... I tried to make a biped COG-shifting walker,
based on the many excellent examples found in the archives here.  But it doesn't
walk -- it just tips up onto the edges of its feet.

Here's the starting position (both feet flat, one slightly ahead of the other):
<http://www.strout.net/temp/bot1-start.jpg>

After a quarter-cycle advancement, it should have itself tipped over onto one
foot and the other one in the air, like this:
<http://www.strout.net/temp/bot1-desired.jpg>

But here's what actually happens (if I don't give it a nudge with my finger):
<http://www.strout.net/temp/bot1-actual.jpg>.

It makes sense that this happens -- as the lifting foot starts to lift, the bot
(whose is in the middle at that point) naturally shifts over slightly onto the
lifting foot.  So it never manages to get it off the ground.  It seems like for
that to happen, the lifting foot would have to push a little to get the weight
over onto the supporting foot, before it lifts into the air.  But I don't see
how the simple mechanisms posted here can accomplish that.

Can you more experienced biped builders give me a clue?

Thanks,
- Joe