 Technic / 13053
Re: why won't my biped walk?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:09:23 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Joe Strout wrote:
I appreciate the attempt, but I don't think that's it.  Despite how it might
look it is, in fact, very carefully balanced, and the bot doesn't seem to
favor one foot over the other.

Oh, I was under no illusions that this would magically solve your problem, and
it should be possible to compensate enough for an inconsistent COG that it won't
matter in the long run.  It's the transition point between the two where it'll
matter.  Think of it like a tightrope walker.  You could balance yourself by
holding the balancing pole off-center and leaning to the other side to
compensate for it, and your COG would still stay over the tightrope, but it's
going to be very difficult to predict just how much you'd need to lean to
compensate for how far off-center your pole is.  It's a lot simpler to go for a
symmetrical arrangment that doesn't require you to lean continuously in either
direction.

In the case of a COG-shifting walker, your design might be perfectly balanced
when standing upright, but you also have to be concerned with the COG location
when it's in mid-stride and supported by only one foot.  By shifting various
bricks to one side or the other like you've done, your COG won't be in exactly
the same relative position when standing on the left foot as it will when
standing on the right.  If you shift one plate a stud to the left and another
identical plate a stud to the right, it seems like they should perfectly counter
each other (and as long as it stays perfectly vertical, they more-or-less do).
But if one shifted plate is higher than it's matched piece, the higher plate
could completely clear the COG when leaning in one direction, while the lower
plate could still stradle it a tiny bit when leaning in the other direction.
That could be just enough difference to make it able to successfully shift the
COG over one foot, but never quite get it over the other.