 Technic / 12890
Re: New LEGO truck, 8436
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:33:45 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Anders Gaasedal wrote:
   Hi everyone,

I just bought one of the new technic sets yesterday, the truck 8436.

NOW, I NEED to know something. In the S@H catalog picture, I see that on the tires, it’s written 62.4 x 20 (tire dimension). Of course, i fear that they aren’t the same type as the old (Giant truck MT 5571) type which says on the tires 68.8 x 24.

Can you please confirm this, because if it is the case, I’m very dissapointed! TLC doesn’t have enough money to do a new cypres mold, but they can find a endless supply to create new molds, as bizare as possible, for castle, boinicle and so on...

   I really didnt like the new technic style before, I think the concept of LEGO has chanched, but now I think it was the time to try a large new set, and I have seen some new possibilities of the new style technic. I have to admit that it surprised me, how many more new ways the bricks can be combined, I am just sorry that the set not includes both the new and old types of technic bricks, I think that would have been the best solution.

I agree with you, all the new technic models aren’t stiff at all, even the 8455 backhoe, when you pump the air, it “collapse”... Such a shame!

   Now, I think the new bricks are allright, but the construction is not that stiff, when everything is put together with the small black pins. Old bricks features a lot stiffer construction when the knobs lock into each other.

Yeap, the old way was to build by layers, using stud pieces, and now it’s a lateral construction, or from the center out way to build. Quite weird and no as efficient as before.

   But I think it is one of the best new sets from LEGO for a long time, the crane on the truck lookes and works almost like the real ones.

Maybe nice at first, but the more I look at it, the less desire I have to buy it. Now, with the new models, there is an endless supply of pegs and little bits. At least before we had all kinds of plates and bricks, so it was easier to recycle pieces to make all kinds of other creations. Now with such a suppliy af bits, we can reuse them to fill hoppers or other freight cars, and save the 1x1 round or plates...

   Of course I dont like the strange plates on the side of the truck, because they are too special, and hard to use in other places, but owerall I think its a nice model.

Well, TLC needs to produce LOTS of new pieces to pay for there molds... So we got to get use to the round bricks, slopes, wedges, etc... That will not change!

   In the description of the truck is written “hydraulic crane” in case you didnt quess, its of course not correct, it is a pneumatic crane.

Does any one have other comments to the 4 new technic sets just released?

Best regards from Denmark

Best regards from Canada hey!

JM

   Anders Gaasedal