 Technic / 12304
  Re: pneumatic cylinder: why not hydraulic ??

<snip> (...) Hi Mark, I've thought about this in the past, and ruled it out because it is such a specialty. Do you think there is a big enough market to justify a book on this topic? Kevin (20 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Pneumatics book?

(...) Well, there are books about Lego Mindstorms and now a book about Lego trains, both by AFOLs, so I don't see why not. Chapters may look like this: 1. Basics. Components and simple system. 2. Larger basic systems, up to Backhoe Loader (...) (20 years ago, 8-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.books)

  Re: Pneumatics book?

(...) That would be my fifth book, and my second that contains pneumatic models. I'd love to do more models based on a single 8455 set. It has enough switches to make a half adder, and some cool walkers. It is a challenge to live within the (...) (20 years ago, 9-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.books)

  Re: Pneumatics book?

(...) Yes, I just noticed that it was one of your specialities - obvious due to the picture on the Technic newsgroup page. I also major in trains, which take a lot of time, so I haven't had time to develop pneumatics much for a few years. However, (...) (20 years ago, 9-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.books)

  Re: Pneumatics book?

(...) Mark, I think the subject of pneumatic sequencing is strong enough to stand by itself as a chapter. Feel free to read my writeup on the subject (URL) (...) (20 years ago, 9-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.books)

  Re: Pneumatics book?

(...) Syngress found me, and then I co-authored in my first book. It was primarily a building instruction book, with little freedom, except in the model design itself. I wrote my first version of LPub for that book. Syngress had another "10 Cool (...) (20 years ago, 10-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.books)

  Re: Pneumatics book?

(...) I've long held the opinion that it is a lot harder to make rigid structures using studless beams. I have yet to build anything of worth entirely from studless, despite multiple attempts. Steve (20 years ago, 10-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.books)

  Re: Pneumatics book?

(...) Sorry for replying to my own post but I've just had another thought. Has anyone else noticed all the ancillary junk needed to build a studless creation? Compare it with the basic studded version, all you have is beams, of varying lengths, 1xn (...) (20 years ago, 10-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.books)

  Re: Pneumatics book?

(...) Has anyone noticed all of the rich variety of parts available to the modern stud-free system that have no comparable equivalent in the old stud-dependant system? Take, for instance, these parts: (URL) triple liftarm> (URL) 1x2 flat liftarm> (...) (20 years ago, 10-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.books, FTX)

  Whining about studless parts: was Pneumatics book?

(...) (20 years ago, 10-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.books)

  Whining about studless parts - Was: Pneumatics book?

(...) Can you really blame this on studless parts, given that many others *have* made worthwhile designs? Perhaps your prejudice against studless parts is preventing you from creating a worthwhile design. I have made a few worthwhile (IMHO) designs (...) (20 years ago, 10-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatics book?

(...) I too regret the fact that studded designs are hard to find. There are plenty of situations where studded bricks are the way to go. Kevin (20 years ago, 10-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.books)

  Re: Whining about studless parts - Was: Pneumatics book?

(...) I'm not sure how good an idea that is. Not the incorporation of BIONICLE parts thing, but the specific use of the socket joints. They're designed to work with friction, and I'd think that extended use of a motor would tend to wear them out (...) (20 years ago, 11-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Whining about studless parts - Was: Pneumatics book?

(...) David, I'm not working on this issue because it is a good or bad idea, I'm on personal mission. I agree that that over time the friction would get reduced by wear. In fact though this wear will be a good thing. I have tried using gearboxes and (...) (20 years ago, 11-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Pneumatics book?

(...) Restricted as I understand it is not so much a question of how many different parts exist, but what different types of structures you can build from them. And given the great models I have seen in both TLG and MO creations, both studded and (...) (20 years ago, 11-Apr-04, to lugnet.technic)