 Technic / 12087
Re: New Technic sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 23:04:27 GMT

First and foremost I have to say that my personal preference is for studded
parts.  Studless parts definitely are useful in some cases, but for me they
will never be as good, or produce a finished creation that is as good as one
using brick based part.  This is not a question of functionality it is how I
view the end result.

I own all of the 2003 sets.  With the exception of only a couple I have
purchased at least three of each and in a few cases many more than that.
Although you make some good points about the features of the 8455, for me it
is pale in comparison to the 8862.  What can I say other than I like the
brick look a lot better.  Functionality on the level of the 8455 is nice and
certainly welcome, I would just like to see it with at least a combination
of studded and studdless parts.  Clearly from the pictures of the 2004 sets
Lego has chosen not to return to its roots when it comes to Technic.  This
could not be more evident than in the use of Bionicle parts for things like
propellor blades.  :(  I would happily trade some of the functionality of
the 8455 for the size and appearance of the 8862 or 8868.  If nothing else,
the studdless models add more and more black friction pins to my collection
and I definitely don't need anymore.  :)  As for the Mars Rover, that is one
of the only studdless sets I can say I truely like, I bought six of them.
:)

As for the revival of Model Team, I must completely and totally disagree
with you.  The designer sets so far are FANTASTIC, but they are pale in
comparison to the Model Team sets.  The only sets to be made that compare to
Model Team is the UCS line.  This is my opinion and I know a lot of people
think differently on this subject..  I would just suggest that anyone take a
look at the 4404 and then at the 5571 and reconsider calling the Designer
sets the return of Model Team.

As for the F1 car....I had only seen one picture of it and a small picture
at that.  Until you posted it, I had no other details to go on.  However, it
would not be a big suprise if Lego had simply release yet another version of
the Silver Champion.  None of the F1 style cars has a thing on the
supercars, studless or otherwise.  I too own both the 8448 and the 8880 but
I like the 8880 a whole lot more.  Heck, I like the 8865 better than the
8448.  :)

Finally we come to the point of quality that I applied to the Technic line.
It is an overall thing that Lego has been doing for a while now.  In my
opinion a good beginning was the choice to move to such cheap packaging for
sets, especially the large sets.  Another example is the overall reduction
in brick parts and the move towards specialized pieces.  This has carried
into things like the recent color changes and changes to parts like the
tires on the 8455.  Did you notice how plastic they are compared to most of
the excellent rubber tires produced over the years?  I just think that Lego
has taken as many or more steps backwards as they have forwards.  Throughout
2003 I honestly thought Lego was rounding the bend to a better direction.
That was completely and totally negated by the color changes alone.  It will
continue in my opinion now that they have had such a disasterous financial
outcome for 2003.

Bottom line is, I think it is a personal thing for every person that enjoys
Lego.  As I see it things with Lego are not going well and rapidly getting
much worse.  It has reached a point that so far, I do not see one single new
set I will buy.  I refuse to pay for any of the sets that contain the new
grey or brown colors and am not interested in supporting Lego through a
financially difficult time if such poor decisions are not going to be
undone.

Sorry for the length of the post everyone.  :)

Greg

"John Guerquin" <jguerquin@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
In lugnet.technic, Gregory Muri wrote:
In my opinion Keith, your observation is correct.  The quality of the
Technic sets is on the decline (along with a lot of other things from • Lego).

I'm wondering how you arrived at your conclusion Gregory?
Do you own any of the 2003 Technic sets?  The new small yellow sets • introduced
in 2004, ie. the 8451 dump truck, and 8453 front-end loader are great and
affordable sets, with good functions and cool new technic parts!
Yes they're studless, which is a good thing IMHO (there was another thread
recently on that subject).  The 8455 back-hoe is amazing, and has more
functionality than most Technic sets, including the Airtech Claw rig • (8868).
The back-hoe has 7 pneumatic functions, plus steering and • drivetrain/engine.
The 7471 Mars Exploration Rover is also a great set, packed with • functions.
The revival of Model-team 4402, 4403, and 4404 are great sets which a lot • of
people have praised.

The best example of this is the re-re-release of the Silver Champion • again
this year.  This combined with the complete change-over to studless • Technic

Where is this re-re-release that you're talking about?  If it's the 8386
Ferrari, then you are incorrect, because that set appears to share • absolutely
nothing with the Silver Champ or Williams racer.  Well, except that • they're all
large models of F1 cars.  The ferrari is 720 pcs (versus 1400+), has • smaller
tires, and appears to use completely studless construction.
Check it out here: • <http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=646287>

sets is definitely a sign of decline.  Don't get me wrong, there are
certainly uses for the studless parts.  But when it comes to a Technic • set,
they just can't touch the awesome look of studded beams.  Best examples • are

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8868
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8862

These sets look 1000 times better than the current incarnations, at • least to
me anyway.

I realize that you prefer these older sets, but in my opinion, the 8455 • backhoe
is by far superior to either of those sets.  It looks more realistic IMHO, • and
less square/boxy than the others.  Mind you, I also think that the 8448 • red
supercar is better than the old 8880 supercar (I own both).
It's a bit like comparing the boxy cars of the 1980s (8880) to the more • rounded
cars of the 90s (8448).

The new 8436 red truck with crane seems pretty good, eventhough I'm sure • it
won't have nearly the amount of functions that the Back-hoe or Mars Rover • have.
I'll still buy it though, Bionicle-hook or not!  After all, it's LEGO, and • if
you don't like something about an official set, then modify it!!!
(I'm in the process of re-designing the steering geometry of the Mars • Rover, so
that it turns a little more smoothly).

my 2 cents...

Build well (with or without studs)

John