 Technic / 11033
Re: Drat Soarer (2nd lego glider)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 13:39:52 GMT

Daron,

Congrats on the continued development, but I don't know why you want to make a
biplane, except for kicks.

The most efficient wing, from a drag reducing perspective, is a long thing one
(think gliders, and MacReady's man powered planes). Short stubby biplanes wings
have a lot of drag, and the only reason biplanes existed were because materials
and design weren't advanced enough in the early days of aviation to make safe,
strong monoplanes.

Thanks, and I want a biplane because I think its an easier design with lego then
the long wings. Legos have all ways been weaker when they are spread out, even
the wing design I currently use bends towards the end, if I extend it out it
would bend even more. With a biplane I can get the extra lift from the wing with
out the extra strain from the long wings. I will try making a longer wing, I'm
just afraid that legos are not strong enough at long distances just like back
then they could not make strong monoplanes. I know I could make it strong
enough, but that adds more wieght to the design and I really need to keep the
wieght down as much as I can inorder to eventually try powered flight.

Daron