 Technic / 11047
Re: Drat Soarer (2nd lego glider)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 3 Aug 2003 15:57:48 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Neb Okla wrote:

"Daron" <ratasaurs@attbi.com> wrote in message news:HIxCpt.LuC@lugnet.com...
My second glider, Drat Soarer, is now up:

And does any one know of a way to build a good prop for an airplane? I
thought

This is the best prop I've seen:
http://www.peeron.com/cgi-bin/invcgis/inv/sets/5113-1?withpics=yes

This looks like a great prop but then I saw this thread...
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=9169

This one might be good too:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/30332

Or this:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2952

I doubt if these 2 props would do anything.

that perhaps some one has built one for a model of an airplane. Once I figure
this out then I think I can build a powered one, the prop design is the main
thing holding me back.

Maybe you should try some kind of catapult system like the Wright brothers
used?

It was Samuel Pierpont Langley who used a catapult.  His "Aerodromes" as he
called them were launched from a catapult from the top of a house boat on the
Potomac River.  I think he spent some time IN the potomac, too.

The Wright brothers did not use a catapult.  Their plane took off completely
under its own power resting on a trolley which ran down a mono track.  The
trolley was not powered.  It landed on skids which part of the flyer.

As for the motor - I'm not sure what you could use.  I've connected the Set
#5113 Airscrew to a motor before and wasn't impressed with the thrust
generated.  You'd need a lot more RPM to overcome the weight of the motor.

The 3 Blade 9 Diameter motor is fairly light though, and could possibly be