 Technic / 10645
Re: Questions from a pneumatics newbie.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 04:50:17 GMT

Okay... quick question, going back to square one.  How many switches
could I actually realistically gang onto one pneumatic piston so that
the piston's position will simultaneously flip all of them?

I've just worked out a design for an octal register with tri-state
outputs and a latched input, but it requires that 16 pneumatic switches
all be ganged on one piston.  I've also drawn up a 8 to 32 line demux
and an 8 to 32 line mux as well (actually, they are identical... just
mirror images of eachother), but they each require that 32 switches all
be ganged onto one piston!

Just thinking out loud here.... I was thinking just now that to have
enough pneumatic components to do one of my favorite first year digital
electronics labs entirely in pneumatics (it involved tracing through
microcode that might be executed when moving data from one cpu register
to another) would require... uhmmm... let's see.  10 pistons for each of
the three octal registers, 8 pistons for output, 40 pneumatic switches
for each register, plus 8 switches for manual digital input, plus 2
switches for input/output control for each register.  That's uhmm... 38
pistons and 134 pneumatic switches.  Uh... rats.  That's not gonna be
happening anytime soon.

<heavy sigh>

Oh well... maybe someday.  :)