 Technic / 10631
10630  |  10632
Subject:
Questions from a pneumatics newbie.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 18:56:59 GMT

While I'm waiting for an opportunity to pick up my first pneumatic
components (I just need to make sure that my budget will allow for
this), I've been trying to come up with some designs that are both
creative and interesting ways to use them.  I find myself facing a
couple of questions though that I won't know the answers to until the
parts arrive unless some kind soul out there happens to already know and
would be willing to share the answers.  :)

First, I think I've come up with what I think is something interesting
here on paper, but it requires that a single pneumatic cylinder be able
to simultaneously slide several (4 or more), each differently hooked up,
pneumatic valve switches, and I'm wondering roughly how many of them I
could realistically switch with only one cylinder.  I've got a mechanism
visualized here where I have multiple switches with a technic axle angle
connector on each switch, with a single axle running through them all as
well as through the loop at the end of a pneumatic cylinder, which would
be situated in the middle of them all.

Secondly, and this should be an easy one to answer... what is the reach,
in LEGO studs, of the different pneumatic cylinders' arms?

BTW, it seems like buying the pneumatic components individually can get
pretty pricey if one is getting more than just a handful.  Are there any
current technic sets that have more than just a couple of pneumatic
components that might be a better bargain?