 Technic / 10636
Re: Questions from a pneumatics newbie.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:20:39 GMT

Kevin L. Clague wrote:

This set includes 10 large pistons and two large pumps, as well as new form
factor swtiches.

The pistons are also a new form factor, one that no longer makes it easy to butt
two pistons together.  Might not be what you want if you are into pneumatic
computing.

Kevin

This shouldn't be a problem for me.  I've come up with my own design for
pneumatic logic gates (without using negative pressure even!) where each
piston is attached to the handle of one or more switches very much like
in your Synchropillar design where the base of the piston just attaches
to a liftarm or beam that pivots.  The beauty of this arrangement is
that it won't require any rubber bands and I will be able to position
the pistons wherever it's convenient for the model, rather than always
requiring them to be end-to-end.  And multiple inputs to the same gate
do not have to adjacent.  What I've got drawn here so far is a design
that uses the position of 2 cylinders as inputs and requires 3 switches.
   By changing how the pneumatic tubing is wired between the switches,
any 2-input combinational logical output and its complement can be
produced as output, so the fundamental design is highly reusable.  My
design uses positive air pressure as a logical 1, and exhaust as a
logical 0.  I don't know this for sure yet, since I don't have the
components to play with, but I suspect that the design I have may
require a heavy duty air supply... probably moreso than your pneumatic
logic.

I'd really like do up what I've done in Ldraw to show what I mean, but I
have no pneumatic Ldraw parts, and I'm not sure how I'd do the tubing
anyways.

I'll be seeing if I can draw up a mux, and demux on paper later this
afternoon.   After that, I'm going to see if I can do some sequential
logic.  Wow... I'm having so much fun with this, it should be illegal.  :)

BTW, how much is that set?