 Technic / 10644
Re: A free motorized switch with every compressor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 01:14:25 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
I love differentials.

I wanted to share another trick I figured out while playing with pneumatics.  By
combining a differential with the motor(s) and pump(s) of a compressor, you can
make a motorized switch.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/compressors/p6070073.jpg

In above behemoth compressor, I have four motors that are mechanically linked
together.  In the center of the motors is a differntial.  The motors turn the
differential case.  There are two outputs from the differential.  One goes to
the pump, and the other to a pneumatic switch.

When you run the motors forward, they throw the switch until it hits its limit,
then the motors drive the pump.  If you reverse the motors, the switch gets
thrown the other way until it hits its limit, and then the motors drive the
pump.

The switch cares with way the motors are turning, but the pump does not.
Reversing the motors toggles the switch.  Running the motors in the same
direction as the last time just runs the pump.

This works great as long as you don't want to be able to turn the switch to the
off position and run the pumps at the same time.

I forgot to add a few more pictures.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/compressors/p6070072.jpg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/compressors/p6070074.jpg

PLMKWYT