 Technic / 10651
Re: A free motorized switch with every compressor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:18:12 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
I love differentials.

I wanted to share another trick I figured out while playing with pneumatics.  By
combining a differential with the motor(s) and pump(s) of a compressor, you can
make a motorized switch.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/kclague/compressors/p6070073.jpg

Pretty cool. I like the way you've symmetrically supported the large hand pump.
You've placed a gear on both sides of the handle.

Now this may seem the obvious thing to do with the large pumps, given the
relatively large force required to push them. But I've always wondered if it
would be beneficial to do the same with the small compressor tubes (i.e. the
small "pumps").

Typically, when people build compressors using the small pumps, the support peg
or axle that attaches to the end of the pump is cantilevered out from the wheel.
Given the tolerances of LEGO and the "stretchability" of ABS, this peg or axle
can bend out of axis. In other words, if your peg or axle is horizontal, it will
bend upwards when loaded. This causes side load on the pump.

If you support it on either side (like you did with the large pump), you remedy
this problem. I'm just wondering if this would be effective or not in making a
more efficient pump.

-TJ