 Technic / *13001 (-20)
  Mechanical Memory for Computing

Inspired by the recent pneumatic computing thread I have created some LEGO mechanical memory. It is an adaptation of a possible design for molecular level RAM. The folder is at (URL) with details below. In this overall view of it (URL) the sliding (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.build, lugnet.announce.moc)

  First Reaction to the Takanuva set (8596)

There is no way that, in the movie, Takanuva does not come to a screeching halt in front of the other Toa and throw a shower of dust on them. Is there a biker term for that maneuver? (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic.bionicle, FTX)

  Re: LEGO design patterns... you know, there's a book in that, I'm sure of it!

(...) LOL actually most (all?) Harleys are belt drive. When is belt drive a better option? But I agree a compendium of such "secrets" would be a good thing. But it'd take a lot of time & effort to compile, and that's after you've taken the abstract (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: LEGO design patterns... you know, there's a book in that, I'm sure of it!

(...) No, you're spot on. Gears and chain drives are both viable ways of transmitting power... but the real trick is to know when each one is a good choice, It's not even enough just to say "chains are good for bikes and gears are good for cars".... (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Blacktronicle II: Bohrokitron

(...) I was a bit less than surprised, actually. Paul Coombs already mentioned that his Gremlin MOCs weren't very well-received, and this one is quite similar in concept. (...) Isn't that like saying a team is on a two-game winning streak? I've made (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: LEGO design patterns... you know, there's a book in that, I'm sure of it!

(...) I would somewhat disagree... based on two points: 1) I don't think this type of info is that easily found. Now this is just my feeling, not really a statistic based statement. The only *decent* site I've ever found that presented a nice (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: Blacktronicle II: Bohrokitron

(...) Yes, they do come in the Darth Vader set, but they also come in the Super Battle Droid set. I can't be 100% sure of where those specific pieces came from, but I do happen to have a recently opened SBD sitting next to my desk (which is where (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

  Re: LEGO design patterns... you know, there's a book in that, I'm sure of it!

One thing that I find really annoying about this kind of book/CD/website, is that it rehashes general mechanical knowledge. While there is no argument that this is important information, it isn't lego specific and is available in a million other (...) (21 years ago, 24-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: LEGO design patterns... you know, there's a book in that, I'm sure of it!

(...) A link to an HTML version of Fred's original article: (URL) those who may not be familiar with it. (...) I'm wondering about the first part of your statement Larry. Unless I'm misunderstanding... isn't the 'why' so that you can share knowledge (...) (21 years ago, 23-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: LEGO design patterns... you know, there's a book in that, I'm sure of it!

(...) Nod. Those were mentioned by me as sources or seeds for such a dynamic repository rather than as an end state. (...) WHY is key in my book. Else it's just being clever for cleverness's sake. As in the software Design Patterns you reference, (...) (21 years ago, 23-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Bionicle Evolution room open at LLCA

There is a new attraction at Legoland that is sure to get many visitors. The ‘Bionicle Evolution’ opened its doors this weekend and has already become a hit. This room is filled with thousands and thousands of Bionicle parts for visitors to make (...) (21 years ago, 23-Jun-03, to lugnet.legoland.california, lugnet.technic.bionicle)

  Re: MedamaOyaji ROBOT kit from Japan

Interesting. Anyone have instructions for this, or a walker of similar design online? "Koichi Endou" <digilak@genesys-net.co.jp> wrote in message news:HGEFAD.5E2@lugnet.com... (...) (21 years ago, 23-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: LEGO design patterns... you know, there's a book in that, I'm sure of it!

(...) Also, Fred Martin's stuff is static.... I was thinking of something dynamic, where new design patterns could be added all the time, as long as people were submitting them. One of the important things about documenting LEGO design patterns (...) (21 years ago, 23-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: The latest rage in pneumatic computing

(...) You know, I can really empathize with you on the fact that it might be cryptic. You don't wanna know how long it took me to get the wiring on it just right so that I wouldn't be committing any pneumatic violations. I'll try and explain how I (...) (21 years ago, 23-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: LEGO design patterns... you know, there's a book in that, I'm sure of it!

(...) I was gonna mention Fred Martin, but then you did... If someone was to want to do such a thing (and it would be very nifty if someone did!) his stuff would provide one starting point. Another starting point would be some of the SNOT (...) (21 years ago, 23-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic)

  Re: The latest rage in pneumatic computing

(...) I was concerned about your use of switches that is backwards from normal. I transitioned through all the possible values and it never lost system pressure. Great job! Now I have to study the design so I understand how you did it. There's are a (...) (21 years ago, 23-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics)

  Modifying bricks, Re: Revised Bettendorf Truck Design

(Crosspost to technic, because my reply is more technic releated) (...) Back in the eighties I had a neigbour who was short of technic pistons (nr 3652 on peeron) and created several out of 2x2 bricks. He removed some abs from all sides to make the (...) (21 years ago, 23-Jun-03, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic, FTX)

  Re: Blacktronicle II: Bohrokitron

(...) [LEGOSet 8010] hth A (21 years ago, 23-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

What I really want to know is: Where did the trans-red Technic axle connectors come from? Dave "Purple Dave" <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> wrote in message news:HGKCDx.wEu@lugnet.com... (...) Bohrok (...) from (...) it (...) own. (...) (21 years ago, 23-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space)

  Re: Blacktronicle II: Bohrokitron

(...) Odd how nobody really responded to this one...I'm more curious though as to why you keep making mecha when you profess to dislike the whole mecha concept: (URL) Weird? I don't know. Anyway this particular one doesn't really do it for me. It (...) (21 years ago, 23-Jun-03, to lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.space, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact