 Storage / 712
Re: Who has the most Lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 03:30:17 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
Shiri Dori wrote:

In lugnet.general, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
To All,

The subject pretty much says it all. Who does anyway?

Well, I do know Gary Istok (A really cool guy, BTW! : ) ) is perhaps still
second, I think he has over 500,000 parts. There is someone else, Conan, I
think his name is, he is not online or anything, but I heard he has over
2,000,000 parts.

I would agree to those two, but I also think that Frank Filz would be way up
high on that list. Hmmm...

Yup, several other people also (actually, there are definitely folks who
buy more than I do, I just never get around to selling much of mine).
Last I checked, my spreadsheet of cataloged sets came in at over 250k
pieces. I'd estimate that I'm pretty close to 500k. Larry Pieniazek must
BUY several times as much as I do as do several other folks. Mike
Stanley should be up there (how many blue tubs has he claimed to have
used for his train layout?).

I think you mean Mike Poindexter. Mike Stanley sells a lot of what he buys,
I believe.

Woops, I always get the two mixed up.

I don't know how rapidly Conan buys compared to others of us, but unless
his buying pace is like mine or faster, his collection could well fall
behind the leaders (my collection of 250k-500k has been purchased over
the course of about 20 months so far).

At 2.3M or more (that estimate is a year old) elements in Conan's
collection, it would take a LONG time for someone to surpass him, even at
present rates of growth.

Yea, you're probably right. Even if I keep up my rate, it would be 7-8
years, and presumably I won't keep up the rate (in theory I've dropped
my rate quite a bit).

There *are* limits to growth. Once you get above 250K it gets difficult to
manage your collection. At 500K it gets really really hard, beleive me, I
know. Conan's advantage is that much of his collection (was) built into the
GMLTC layout, making it easier to manage. But Conan is one of the few people
who sorts by size AND color and still consistently overflows the wall of
containers.

Yea, I'm starting to run into collection management problems. It's even
possible that I have more problem for the same size collection than you
do since I collect almost everything, and don't collect primarily for
train parts (of course as we all know, theme X is just spare parts for
theme Y, but I bet you don't have to deal with trying to store 20-30
pirate ship hulls, and all the associated relatively pirate specific
parts just for example). My system would be more manageable however if I
had at least a 2 bedroom place, but it wouldn't get too much farther
before it ran into problems. I'd guess that somewhere in the 200-500k
parts range you reach the limit of the capability of having parts easily
findable, and within a few steps reach, and still have a workspace.
Custom furniture would get one closer to the high end of the range and
custom storage containers would also help. In my not terribly efficient
setup, I've probably got 200k parts at hand.

The GMLTC layout got disassembled and is being reconstituted so for a while
it must have been a madhouse in Conan's basement with all the 2x2 and 2x3
and 2x4 and 1x4 bricks...

That must have been a sight to see. It would seem like that would
potentially rival even the parts storage at the model shops. Of course a
small set of basic brick styles, in just the common colors at least can
be dealt with fairly efficiently. Just get large tubs (K-8 size or so)
for each size and color. With the sizes you listed that would only be
about 25 tubs, which could be arranged around a table where a module is
being broken down. A small horde of people just start tearing away,
concentrating on the bricks which go in the tubs near them, tossing the
ones which don't apply in the general direction of the person
responsible for those or so. That would be a fun sight to see. I
wouldn't be surprised if a module could get torn down and sorted in
under an hour with a work crew of 5 or so.

Follow-ups to: lugnet.storage

Frank