 General / 26106
Re: Who has the most Lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 17:42:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
Shiri Dori wrote:

In lugnet.general, Scott Edward Sanburn writes:
To All,

The subject pretty much says it all. Who does anyway?

Well, I do know Gary Istok (A really cool guy, BTW! : ) ) is perhaps still
second, I think he has over 500,000 parts. There is someone else, Conan, I
think his name is, he is not online or anything, but I heard he has over
2,000,000 parts.

I would agree to those two, but I also think that Frank Filz would be way up
high on that list. Hmmm...

Yup, several other people also (actually, there are definitely folks who
buy more than I do, I just never get around to selling much of mine).
Last I checked, my spreadsheet of cataloged sets came in at over 250k
pieces. I'd estimate that I'm pretty close to 500k. Larry Pieniazek must
BUY several times as much as I do as do several other folks. Mike
Stanley should be up there (how many blue tubs has he claimed to have
used for his train layout?).

I think you mean Mike Poindexter. Mike Stanley sells a lot of what he buys,
I believe.

My most recent estimate places my collection at 750K but I have essentially
stopped buying large quantities. I have (just about??) all the LEGO I need
at this point. Mike is surely ahead of me because of all his tubs, but I
probably have more rare and older sets still as sets.

I don't know how rapidly Conan buys compared to others of us, but unless
his buying pace is like mine or faster, his collection could well fall
behind the leaders (my collection of 250k-500k has been purchased over
the course of about 20 months so far).

At 2.3M or more (that estimate is a year old) elements in Conan's
collection, it would take a LONG time for someone to surpass him, even at
present rates of growth.

There *are* limits to growth. Once you get above 250K it gets difficult to
manage your collection. At 500K it gets really really hard, beleive me, I
know. Conan's advantage is that much of his collection (was) built into the
GMLTC layout, making it easier to manage. But Conan is one of the few people
who sorts by size AND color and still consistently overflows the wall of
containers.

The GMLTC layout got disassembled and is being reconstituted so for a while
it must have been a madhouse in Conan's basement with all the 2x2 and 2x3
and 2x4 and 1x4 bricks...

++Lar