 General / 26146
Re: Who has the most Lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 18:56:48 GMT

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek writes:
There *are* limits to growth. Once you get above 250K it gets difficult to
manage your collection. At 500K it gets really really hard, beleive me, I
know. Conan's advantage is that much of his collection (was) built into the
GMLTC layout, making it easier to manage. But Conan is one of the few people
who sorts by size AND color and still consistently overflows the wall of
containers.

The GMLTC layout got disassembled and is being reconstituted so for a while
it must have been a madhouse in Conan's basement with all the 2x2 and 2x3
and 2x4 and 1x4 bricks...

Fortunately, Minnesota's weather cooperated with us, and we were able to do
most of the destruction / 'stage one sorting' out in the garage.  That gave
us more room to work.  I have pictures somewhere (in the digital camera?
downloaded to a computer?), I should post a few.

To give people an idea of the quantities the GMLTC has to play with, we put
2x4 bricks into 44 quart Rubbermade containers.  I think we have *six* of
them filled with just red 2x4 bricks.

Yes, the basement is crazy!  We've got tables set up for building, with just
enough room on all four sides to navigate.  Good thing we usually get along
pretty well, because we're working in close quarters!  We've got stuff piled
up under the tables, and the 'overflow room' is really overflowing.

FYI:  Not all stuff is sorted by size and color.  Basic bricks, plates, roof
bricks and arches are - but most of the other stuff is just sorted by size.
You just have to know where to look for it.  <grin>

Actual building on 9volt layout #4 starts this week.  No guestimates as to
when we'll be done, I suggested we shoot for July (NMRA show in St. Louis),
but no one else thinks we can be ready by then!

JohnG, GMLTC