 General / 26121
Re: Who has the most Lego?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 06:33:35 GMT

Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote:

There *are* limits to growth. Once you get above 250K it gets difficult to
manage your collection. At 500K it gets really really hard, beleive me, I
know. Conan's advantage is that much of his collection (was) built into the
GMLTC layout, making it easier to manage. But Conan is one of the few people
who sorts by size AND color and still consistently overflows the wall of
containers.

Half of Conan's basement is a room with the sorted containers, where stuff
is built.  The other half is largely overflow - large Rubbermaid containers
with bulk stuff (not just bricks) that doesn't fit in the building room.

The GMLTC layout got disassembled and is being reconstituted so for a while
it must have been a madhouse in Conan's basement with all the 2x2 and 2x3
and 2x4 and 1x4 bricks...

We did a lot of the teardown in the garage, which helped.  The basic bricks
went into large Rubbermaid/Sterilite containers, with most of the 2x2s
still assembled in the columns we use for the "honeycomb" interiors of the
modules.  Everything else went through a first-stage sort and then got
hauled down to the basement to be sorted into the actual bins/overflow.  I
think we finished up this week (but I thought that a few weeks ago too. ;)

The teardown and sorting really wasn't too bad, many hands etc...

Anyway, on to building again!  Once we finish haggling over at least some
of the gross details of the layout, that is.

Steve [GMLTC]
--
Barb & Steve Demlow  |  demlow@visi.com  |  www.visi.com/~demlow/