 Storage / 537
Re: More Heat Testing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 01:17:24 GMT

Well, this was a while ago but I just found it, so sue me. :-)

In lugnet.storage, Philip Ogston writes:
You might also try putting some sort of load on the bricks in the oven.  Lego
parts stored in an attic would most likely be stored tubs or boxes in which
case the bricks on the bottom would be compressed by the bricks above.  Bricks
might get just soft enough to "creep" at attic-like temperatures (what is the
hottest an attic gets?). Creep takes both load and time, so while a few bricks
in an oven for a few minutes might be ok, bricks under some weight for several
hours might distort enough to lose their snug Lego fit.

And MUCH more so if they were there for days, or months. Too bad I didn't
think of that before I left my bricks in Israel... I hope they're alive when I
reunite with them (next month!!).

If I remember my polymer chemistry correctly (a big assumption) there should
be
a specific temperature at which Lego plastic becomes soft.

Hmm, not sure which one you mean - T(glass) or T(melt). By what I learned, I
think you mean T(melt), so at that point it would start melting. T(glass), II
gather C, would make the bricks shatterable (something for Eric to try in the
freezer! ;-).

So it might be a
valuable experiment to put a brick under some weight and turn up the
temperature slowly until the brick distorts under the weight.  Temperatures
significanlty below (maybe 20 degrees F) that distortion point should be ok
for
storage.

yeah, but like you mentioned above- time is an important factor... so the
point of breakage or softening might be lower.

Of course, if anyone out there actually is a materials engineer or polymer
chemist, feel free to correct me.

I'm not a chemist, but my mom is, and I learned a bit bg on polymers when I
wrote a program for her.

hth, if a bit late,
-Shiri