 Storage / 504
Re: More Heat Testing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 22:37:45 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Eric Harshbarger writes:

OK,

so I bought an oven thermometer today which is more accurate than my
guessing with the knobs on my stove/oven.

Using the oven, I warmed up a few 2x4 blue bricks (one single and a pair
joined by 8 studs).

I warmed them to between 140-150F (the thermometer was fluctuating a
bit).

The bricks did not distort, warp, burn, or anything.

I will test a few more times, but this relieves me greatly and adds more
evidence to the various testimonials that storing LEGO in a typcial
attic (i.e. one not located in the Sahara) will not ruin the bricks.

Still, I am not encouraging anyone to do this... do so at your own risk,
blah, blah...

For a better test, I'd suggest turning your stove on as low as it will go
(probably around 100F or so, and leave a handful of bricks in there for
several hours, at least.  Something that doesn't soften at a high temp
(briefly) might do so at a lower temp (long term).

YMMV.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/