 Storage / 289
288  |  290
Subject:
Loose or Clumps?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 17:01:00 GMT

   I just started experimenting with a somewhat different way of storing
bulk Lego pieces, and I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience
with this -- connect bulk pieces together into larger "slugs" when storing
in bins.

   For example, take a bin of 2x4 bricks.  Start making little towers (say,
5 bricks high) of a single color per stack.  Then stack (or toss) the slugs
in your ordinary storage tub.  Depending on the container I usually have to
try a few different slug sizes to get good utilization of my storage space,
and sometimes it helps to mix-n-match slug sizes to fit a particular drawer.

   I've found that for some types of elements (longer beams especially) that
this can compact some drawers down to about two-thirds (!!!) their original
volume.  Also, this makes it much easier to store many colors in the same
compartment, since you can easily grab or count slugs of a particular color
easier than you could find individual pieces in the same bin.  And when I do
accidentally drop a tiny piece into the wrong drawer, it is much easier to
get it back.

   The downside is that slugs don't fill irregular storage space as
naturally as loose pieces do.  I've found that this technique isn't good for
every drawer, mainly those containing medium-sized pieces.

   There's also something aesthetically pleasing about a big old bin of
Legos that gets lost when they're all huddled in conformity like this, but
I'm going to try it out for a few weeks at least to see if I like it.

   Does anyone else out there do this, or will I be ridiculed and shunned in
public?