 Storage / 1514
Re: Sorting Bley and Chocolate Brown
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:51:16 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.storage, Mark Bellis wrote:
For those of us who have not abstained from the new colours, how have you sorted
them with the rest of your collections?

I too mix all my greys. Having a mostly technic collection, I don't have much
new brown, but it will be mixed in too. I have already built MOCs that mix the
greys, and have no problem with it. If I build something that just has to be
unmixed... well I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Me too! Light grey is light grey. Occasionally a new color piece really stands
out so I simply discard it back into the tub and grab for another. My collection
is still mainly old, so that procedure works well. The only real problem is my
building room lighting isn't the best, so I often don't notice new colour bits
mixed in with old. The only time it "shows" is at shows :) They often have
flourescent lights and that seems to make it a little more noticeable. But I
really don't care that much.

After all, compare a blue 1x2 brick with a blue 1x2 brick with technic stud.
They are about as different as the two light greys, but I've used them side by
side just recently and although you can notice it, it doesn't worry me.

(Please don't fut to color, that's not what this is about!)

As far as storage goes, I tend to follow the sort by shape philosophy as
previous described in this thread. I find it a lot easier to browse amongst a
tub of 45 degree slope bricks looking for blue parts as opposed to looking
through a tub of blue parts looking for a 45 degree slope.

My collection is at a transition point where I have enough common shaped parts
(1x1, 1x2, 2x2, 2x4 bricks etc) that I have individual shoe-box sized tubs for
each type in each common colour with an "assorted" tub for less common colours
like pink, orange, light yellow etc. The advantage is that if that tub starts to
grow, its usually because a colour starts to become more common, so then you
just start a new individual tub for that colour and segregate them.

I use the shoe box sized "steralite" from Walmart which are usually 79c and
somtimes have BOGO. This makes them about the cheapest storage I've found. They
have little bimps in the underside which fit into a recess in the lid, so they
stack. If they are less than about 50% full, you can nest them instead.

When I'm in build mode, I just spread the shapes and colours I'll need all
around the room and have at it.

This scheme has affected my sorting procedure too. I now sort in two phases.
Intial sorts into big tubs of parts of a kind and then final sorts from the
intermediate big tubs into the coloured storage tubs if the colours have to be
seperated. Since I have one stack of 2x2 and 2x4 tubs for the different colours,
I initially sort all 2x2 and 2x4 bricks into a single big tub, while other parts
like 1x2 and 1x4 go into another big tub which gets sorted in the stack of 1x2
and 1x4 storage tubs. Sounds long winded perhaps, but there are simply too many
different parts and colours to be able to sort in one go. Well within the
confines of my space. Actually, I think you'd be hard pressed to array storage
tubs for every shape and colour and keep them all within arm's reach, but then,
this is lugnet, so I have no doubt I'll find out how within the next 60 minutes
:)

JB