 Storage / 1512
Re: Sorting Bley and Chocolate Brown
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 21:51:15 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Mark Bellis wrote:
   Given that the bleys and chocolate brown are here to stay, what is the best way to sort them into a large collection, whilst still maintaining the ability to distinguish light bley from light grey?

I currently sort by type, since up to now it has been easier to see different colours in a box of the same type of piece than it is to see different but similar pieces of the same colour in a box.

I have kept the bleys and chocolate brown in separate boxes for now, but I am accumulating enough of them in enough useful parts (the sets were bought for those parts) for me to need to add them to the rest of my collection. There’s no point having two collections sorted into the same system of piece types, since that would occupy twice the space in a house that’s already nearly full of Lego! (moving house is not a solution since I could no longer afford so much Lego).

For those of us who have not abstained from the new colours, how have you sorted them with the rest of your collections?

Mark
Hi there, good question!

I have most of my parts sorted by type and then also by colour for the most common types.

I have most of it (what is not kept in the original box, of course) in storage boxes with many (four types: 13, 17, 15-23 or 6x7(minidrawers)) small compartments, such that for instance all of my Technic brick 1x10 in Black have a separate compartment (several compartments are needed for many items, of course, especially the larger, more common types types).

For the Technic bricks this means having Black, Yellow and Gray and Other, in which case the Light Bluish Gray parts go into the Other bins along with the Green, Blue, Red, White, Brown, Teal etc. For liftarms, for example, I have one box (17) for Black and one for Other, with the smallest liftarms (the thin ones) sorted by type only.

The light bluish gray technic parts like gears, pins and bushings I have not added to my collection yet, but kept separate so far by keeping the set assembled or in the box. When I add them, all of the common technic parts will probably just go in with the rest. If the need arises, it is not impossible to sort them out, but good light is needed!

For regular bricks the common colors are red, blue, yellow, white, black, gray, Green, and these are separate, and the bluish ones go in with the Others, that include all of the other greens and pinks and purples and oranges and stuff. Here I have adapted by separating out the Dark Gray to keep it also separate. Since most of my LEGO so far is Technic, there isn´t much browns in my collection, but what I have go in with the other colors in the Other bins.

All Transparent parts are separated out and sorted by type, but all wheels are in a large bucket together. Many of the parts, for which the need to buy a set might arise for the sake of the part, are new parts, only available in the new colors, like this one: http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/48989 and then there is no possibility of a mixup.

So, the short version is I adjusted my sorting a little, buying a couple of more containers to reduce the risk of mixups, but for smaller, “non-brick” pieces, they just go in with the rest. Far greater changes have been required to house all of the parts from the 4562 sets and really old used lots I bought!

Olof